Thursday, September 5, 2013

Five Albums I'm Looking Forward to this Fall, Part 1

1) Haim, Days Are Gone, Sept. 30

          I discovered Haim, a band of three sisters from Los Angeles, through Rolling Stone, which has proven itself time after time as an extremely reliable source for judging the quality of new bands, at least according to my taste (couldn't resist the link...I can't help thinking in lyrics sometimes...).  I have never heard anything remotely like the music this band makes.  In a nutshell, they are not trying to imitate anyone, which is very refreshing.   When I noticed that their single "Forever" was gaining attention on the indie pop scene, I decided to keep an eye out for their next single.  I never trust a band with only one popular single for a few reasons.  First, the single could represent the extent of their musical abilities.  So many young indie bands rush to labels and secure deals before they are entirely aware of their artistic vision.  Sadly, major labels attempt to pigeonhole bands into certain genres to ensure the music will have immediate listenership and radio airplay.  Once an image is established, changing that image is assumed to be bad for sales (unless, of course, it's Cher...see number two on the list).  In these cases, the songs will sound too similar and I'll lose interest in the band quickly.


               Each of Haim's subsequent singles has retained the urgent vocals, heavy emphasis on rhythm, and intriguing yet catchy hooks.  However, each release has a life of its own, making this band the ultimate pop/rock/rhythm and blues chameleon.   From seriously tearing up Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well" to the Beach Boys-esque "Honey and I" to the anthemic "Send Me Down", Haim represents a more mature version of everything I enjoy about the few indie bands I can actually stand listening to for more than half a song: raw guitar riffs, intelligent lyrics that aren't narcissistic, three part harmonies, and an incredible bass player.  And this band has been winning over festival crowds for six years. Astoundingly, they are able to recreate the singles flawlessly on stage.  I actually prefer their live tracks over the studio material because each musical element is discernible, and their producer has an annoying habit of compressing those elements into something that leans more towards pulsating dance pop than rock.   Already having opened for Florence and the Machine, Ke$ha, and Mumford and Sons, all of which I consider inferior artists, Haim is poised to take the indie world by storm...and survive to tell the story decades from now.

Here's my ranking of officially released Haim singles:
Forever
Don't Save Me
The Wire
Send Me Down
Falling

And for more information about the band, here is an article I wrote for the college paper (August 22nd issue, page 3).

          I am actually supposed to be posting every week day, and I need to play a little catch up, so I will post each of the next four albums as a separate entry.  Later!

2) Cher, Closer to the Truth, Sept. 24
3) Diane Birch, Speak a Little Louder, Oct.15
4) Pearl Jam, Lightning Bolt, Oct. 15
5) Patty Griffin, Silver Bell, Nov. 8

Image: consequenceofsound.net

No comments:

Post a Comment